Fallonites Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Numa/West End

+14
freevef
Momof4
kc11
Angela Clyburn
Oldschool
character4kds
mommyleal
momof2
KelliJ
norman
friendofjesus
CCSD Employee
Anna710
Admin
18 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Numa/West End - Page 3 Empty Numa parents, staff also grow frustrated with district plan

Post  Admin Thu May 06, 2010 9:00 pm

By Stephanie Carroll LVN Staff Writer

Numa parents, staff also grow frustrated with district plan

Students held up signs touting “It's not just a building. It's us!” Wednesday while parents and staff grew increasingly frustrated with the district's proposal to close West End Elementary School and incorporate all students and staff into Numa Elementary School.

“Everyone is kind of yelling and screaming and that's not productive,” one audience member said in an attempt to hush the crowd.

Superintendent Carolyn Ross and Federal Programs Facilitator Sue Chambers explained the school board voted to close a school if the budget requires it, and the best plan is one that will also gain funding. Ross said they still may not close a school, but they need to formulate a plan in case.

Chambers said there is a school improvement grant that funds schools for reforming and implementing best practices, which Churchill County School District could do by closing and integrating West End, a high achieving school, into Numa, a needs of improvement school. Ross said West End would close because its facilities are in the most need of upgrade.

“I think it has the opportunity to keep intact what is currently working and apply it to a different population and see what works over time,” Ross said. “I think it's hopeful.”

Chambers said to ensure best practices are carried out, the grant requires all teachers to re-interview for their positions, and only 50 percent of Numa teachers could return. It also requires Numa to replace its principal, Robert Freeman, with West End's principal, Kimi Melendy because she has successfully implemented best practices. Numa staff expressed concern this would bias the interviews and leave Numa without a voice.

“Kimi has not been a principal that long,” a teacher said. “She came into a plan that was already established. You're throwing her into Numa without knowing anything about it.”

Nona McFarlane, a former school employee, added West End teachers will also be in a new environment because Numa has higher rates of minorities, special education and English as a second language students, something most believe lead to low test scores.

“If they were dealing with the population we have here, they wouldn't be the model school,” McFarlane said.

Several individuals were upset that the proposal suggests Numa does not use best practices. A teacher pointed out that although many students have poor test scores, the sixth graders show increasing improvement, evidence that Numa students do improve by the time they leave.

“The perception being presented to the community through the meeting I sat through (Tuesday) said this is not a good school,” an attendee said.

Ross said the district never said Numa does not have wonderful teachers, to which audience members responded by yelling “Yes you did!”

“I regret, and apologize if I offended you,” Ross replied in response to the accusations.

However, parents and staff were more concerned Numa students will be displaced to make room for West End students.

“I just want to stay here,” one student said. “I've made so many friends. All of us want kids to stay here. We want our friends to stay here, our sisters to stay here. I want to stay here too.”

Nevertheless, Chambers said there may be enough open classrooms at Numa to accommodate all or most West End teachers and students because of decreasing enrollment, increased teacher-student ratios, teachers leaving the district through retirement or reductions in force, integrating specials and open classrooms.

Attendees also accused the district of trying to trick the federal government because West End students may improve Numa test scores.

“Basically, what you're telling the federal government ... we did improve the school,” an audience member said. “But what we're really doing is ethically lying to the federal government because we didn't improve our school.”

Ross said the district is trying to meet government standards, which are strictly numbers.

“We don't feel that's unethical,” Ross said. “We feel that's having fiscal responsibility.”

Multiple audience members said the district is putting money before their children's education.

“I have a problem with that,” one attendee said. “I'm not sure if that's fiscally responsible. Money is nice, but our kids are more important than the cash.”

Ross confirmed the district needs and is attempting to earn revenue, and some audience members understood that.

Others said the district's plan is outright illegal because the only determinate for which students remain at Numa is based on free and reduced lunch numbers remaining at 40 percent.

“They cannot choose your kids based on free and reduced lunch,” one individual said. “It is against the law.”

President April Chester of the Churchill County Education Association and a teacher at Numa said it also violates teacher contracts.

“Have you even looked at the contract because you, and I have never had a conversation about this,” Chester said. “You cannot legally move teachers within contract.”

Ross said the district will not do anything without working with local associations to make sure contracts are honored.

By the end of the meeting, parents and staff were demanding answers, many alleging the district is withholding information from the public, the school board and the unions.

“Why can't we see those numbers, those figures?” one individual asked. “You have a percentage. You have figures written down somewhere.”

Ross and Chambers explained the proposal is in the beginning stages, so there is no hard data yet. Determining those numbers is the next step if the board directs the district to continue researching the plan.

“You are assuming things that haven't even been discussed yet,” Chambers said. “This is still a concept. This is not a done deal. We cannot predict anything with any accuracy.”

Others accused Ross directly alleging she had no interest in helping Numa or its students because she had not addressed the staff collectively in the last four years. Ross apologized for not visiting Numa, explaining she had been told it was not necessary by Numa's principal, which the audience responded to with disbelief.

Ross stressed a school will only be closed if it is necessary, and the board is facing many difficult decisions and will not take any action lightly.

“Whatever we do is going to be very uncomfortable for all of us,” Ross said.

The Churchill County School Board discussed this issue late Thursday night. There will be an article online and in Sunday's paper.

For more information about school closure or for board minutes, visit www.churchill.k12.nv.us.
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.fallonites.com

Back to top Go down

Numa/West End - Page 3 Empty ANOTHER COMMENT

Post  retiredteacher Fri May 07, 2010 12:16 pm

I just posted a comment on the reduction in force link that fits here as well. Put the jobs on the chopping block that would least harm our kids and their education. Have a read okay? silent

retiredteacher

Back to top Go down

Numa/West End - Page 3 Empty Re: Numa/West End

Post  Admin Sat May 08, 2010 11:05 am

KelliJ wrote:
Ms Kathy St. Clair at State of NV, SiG Grants for Churchill County at 775-687-9185.

Ok so someone at the meeting last night at Numa was asking about a federal number... I posted this on page 3 of this thread but maybe some didn't see it or were asking to see if Ross and Chambers would answer.

We need to call Ms St. Clair and bring up the legalities and ethical issues about using our childrens test scores or stats in free/reduced lunch program to follow this model!

The more parents that call, the less likely it is for CCSD to get that grant!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Numa/West End - Page 3 Empty LVN article discussing school board meeting on 5/6

Post  Admin Sat May 08, 2010 11:07 am

Teachers, parents not satisfied with answers on school closure
By Stephanie Carroll, LVN Staff Writer

After two days of frustration and outrage over the district's proposal to close West End Elementary School and incorporate it into Numa Elementary School, parents and teachers received some of the answers they were looking for Thursday, but few were satisfied by what they heard.

“We've been given a scenario, and we've been given a lot of numbers and a lot of jargon that meant nothing,” said former district employee Nona McFarlane. “When we can't respect our board and our administration here, we're already in a losing battle. Let's keep our quality of education. Let's demand the respect we deserve. Don't let us be railroaded one more time.”

Superintendent Carolyn Ross presented the proposal to West End and Numa parents, teachers and students on Tuesday and Wednesday explaining by integrating the two schools under a Turn Around Model, the district can qualify for a grant and profit from the situation.

She said during those meetings the public's primary questions and concerns were which students would be forced out of Numa Elementary because neither school wants to displace its students.

“I want you to know, Board, I have received feedback!” Ross said. “(Over the last two days) I felt very lacking in confidence with the logistics. I want to apologize if I got my head so far up in the clouds that I couldn't relay the information. I know what the parents want to know — how is this most likely going to impact my kids.”

Assistant Superintendent Scott Meihack provided preliminary numbers to show how the district could keep as many students from both schools at Numa. Meihack said there are currently 483 students at Numa, but with an average of 29 students per classroom, 841 students could be accommodated.

This model only calls for displacing about 66 students. Meihack provided the policy for determining the students moved, which is basically on a first-enrolled, first-served basis.

However, neither the board nor the public responded well.

“You're planning on putting 800 students in that school,” Trustee Ron Evans said. “It's going to be like ants crawling around.”

Meihack said if students are displaced evenly throughout the district, there will be about 600 in each school. Projected classroom sizes will be an average of 24.8 students in first grade, 24.5 in second, 28.6 in third, 32.3 in fourth, 31.6 in fifth and 31.5 in sixth.

Another public demand has been to consider alternatives, which the board also wanted to see. The board recommended the district provide at least three potential options with pros and cons by the May 19 meeting.

“I think all the community wants is for us to consider what they want,” Trustee Steve Nunn said. “If there is a viable option, something that's right that might work, give them the opportunity to present that.”

They recommended the public submit proposals in writing to the district before May 12 to give the administration time to research them before the May 19 board meeting. The board chose this time frame to meet budget due dates and provide information to parents quickly.

Others, however, said the process was happening too quickly and questioned why the board did not start this planning several months ago rather than doing it at the last minute.

“Budget issues are not new,” said parent Julie Guerrero. “We knew we were going to have to make difficult decisions. We're kind of just throwing stuff out there and seeing if it will stick. That did not sit well with the people in this room. I would encourage you do go back to the drawing board. I'm scared there's not enough time for a good final analysis of your plan.”

Nevertheless, Numa teachers came together and compiled two alternatives. They asked that the board either come up with a plan with the community or consider applying for the grant using a different model called the Transformation Model.

“According to Kathy St. Clair at the Department of Education, we are more likely to receive money under this model than under the Turn Around Model because schools that are listed in Tier I and II will receive money first to implement a Turn Around Model,” Numa teachers stated in a letter to the board.

In addition to new information, district counsel Sharla Hales answered some legal questions after accusations the district violated open meeting laws concerning this topic.

Hales said the issue of school closure was not stated on the board agenda but listed as a part of the budget reductions heading, which is legal as long as there is no action.

Hales said allegations of a rolling quorum, where a member of the administration takes opinions from individual board members and shares them with other board members, did not occur. Finally, she said the district did provide all materials provided to the board to the public at the same time.

The district gave the public some of the answers they asked for but the community was not pleased and suggested a strong sense of distrust. Many requested the board put off the decision or provide more time for research.

“We are happy to hear that some of the model has changed, but we are concerned because it has changed three times in the past few days.” said Numa teacher Vicki Purrell. “Don't jump at a grant that has done more to divide rather than improve the district.”
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Numa/West End - Page 3 Empty Numa/West End

Post  characte Sat May 08, 2010 11:28 pm

I applaud the Numa teachers for thinking "outside the box" and coming up with alternatives. They know their school and the "concept" now, and can see that there is no way that CCSD will get the money from the Turn Around concept. Why can't the DO people get it? The concern should be with finance, but it should also be with what do we have to do to get the moeny that is out there. If the state dept says that the Transformation model is more likely to be given here, then for heaven's sake go for it. In the past WE, NS and Numa have received sizeable grants, and I would think the other elementary schools did too. The teachers know how to write the grants but the one that fouls it up, by misplacing papers, or not meeting the deadline is not a teacher. The board should look to the teachers to know what to do for their kids. Administrators come and go, but the teachers are still there.

characte

Back to top Go down

Post  Fallonmom Mon May 17, 2010 9:46 am

Does any one know when we are suppose to hear what the final decision is?

Fallonmom

Back to top Go down

Post  KelliJ Tue May 18, 2010 8:07 pm

Fallonmom wrote:Does any one know when we are suppose to hear what the final decision is?
I think tomorrow, the 19th, is the next meeting.. I dont know where it will be yet but we will see!

KelliJ

Back to top Go down

Numa/West End - Page 3 Empty NO SCHOOL CLOSURE

Post  CCSD EMP Thu May 20, 2010 1:33 am

Effective tonight the CCSD Board of Trustees voted to NOT close any elementary school.

CCSD EMP

Back to top Go down

Post  characte Thu May 20, 2010 10:51 am

Okay, WE will not be closed, they found money, SURPRISE! The planning for what was going to be done to Numa started sometime last year (Nov?), in order to save "WE as a whole". I am wondering why we have to have so much drama. I am thinking that those in charge do not know what, who, how, etc in the way of leadership and planning. They have torn the town apart, ruined teacher morale, and sent parents into a tailspin. We do not even know what it has done to the children. One thing comes through loud and clear to me is that the supt. has some kind of vendetta against Numa. The decisions made against that school are sick. Now we have all those rif'd teachers waiting to be called back and they have to wait for the boards decision on June 2, if then. The lawyer came up with the oh we cannot close a school without following protocol. Well they shouldn't have rif'd so many based on having/not having a special ed endorsement without following the protocol for moving teachers either, but they did. The LVN editorial the other day said, "Lead by Example", well with this kind of leadership the district will be going over a cliff real soon.

characte

Back to top Go down

Post  rusty Thu May 20, 2010 11:52 am

You are absolutely correct about the leadership in this district. There is none. I am baffled as to why the school board doesn't make some changes. Unfortunately, there are only about three on the board that have the guts to make changes and they always get out voted by the four that go along with everything the administration does. Remember this at election time.

rusty

Back to top Go down

Post  Momof4 Thu May 20, 2010 11:41 pm

Well heaven forbid they make any kind of decision without Sharla Hales okay. Have you attended a school board meeting lately? Our board members sit there and do nothing, then the second any one of them shows any backbone, she's telling them they should or shouldn't say this, that, or the other. Why do we have a school board? The lawyer is running the show!

Momof4

Back to top Go down

Post  Barbie Fri May 21, 2010 9:31 am

I totally agree, Momof4. I have been to school board meetings too and when one of the board members wants to speak up and make a comment the lawyer shuts them up. It's so stupid and unproductive.
I just read in the LVN this morning that they won't have to close West End. Ms. Broyles "found" several hundred thousand dollars and she saved the day again. I remember going to a school board meeting about a year ago and one of the board members praising her for "pulling a rabbit out of a hat". (As in miraculously finding the money and saving the day!) Unfortunately the drama continues and there will probably be a mess again next year. It never ends.

Barbie

Back to top Go down

Numa/West End - Page 3 Empty Numa principal

Post  momof2 Sat May 22, 2010 3:20 pm

Mr. Freeman, the principal at Numa, has been suspended (again) until the end of the year. Anyone have any idea how or why they would do this? I asked my son's teacher and was told that she could not comment.

momof2

Back to top Go down

Post  char4kds Sat May 22, 2010 4:03 pm

They have been tormenting Mr.Freeman for months. He is a kind, knowledgeable leader at his school. The "powers" want a change and I guess by picking on Mr.Freeman they think they show that they are in charge of everything. Sadly the "powers" would not know a thing about Numa in reality because they never go there. The use of NCLB authority seems out of place at this time and place. Mr.Freeman is very supportive of his students and teachers. The "powers" may be making up something else to blame on him. Why do they pay a retired principal big bucks to sit in on the school if there is not enough money? Remember when a district person suggested that subs should take a 10% cut in pay because they were just retired teachers making spending money? Well here is a retired someone that is making almost 3x's what a sub for a teacher would make. Numa has been singled out. From what I can see someone that delegates the elementary schools to a subordinate basically knows nothing of that school. Test scores vary year to year because the children that are tested are different. Perhaps if they only looked at the scores in the years the same children are tested they may have something real to work with. Just my thoughts, thanks

char4kds

Back to top Go down

Numa/West End - Page 3 Empty Principle Freeman

Post  Momof4 Sat May 22, 2010 10:19 pm

I don't know what the "reasons" for Mr. Freeman's suspension is this time, but I have heard from several sources that someone at the district office wants Mr. Freeman out.

Momof4

Back to top Go down

Numa/West End - Page 3 Empty Meihack

Post  momof2 Wed May 26, 2010 9:56 am

I just heard that Scott Meihack has resigned his current position and will be reinstated as a school principal? Anyone else heard anything about this? I feel for the school that gets stuck with him next year, and pray it is not Numa since they have suspended Mr. Freeman.

momof2

Back to top Go down

Post  rusty Wed May 26, 2010 10:52 am

The rumor that has been going around for a couple of weeks is that he will be the principal of the JrHigh and Kimmi will go to the district office. I, too, feel for the teachers at the JrHigh. However, it is common knowledge that if you are on his good side you are OK, but if you are not, watch out!!!!

rusty

Back to top Go down

Post  Numa/WE Wed May 26, 2010 12:24 pm

Rumors are very interesting in Fallon because most of the time it is like the National Enquirer: true.

The Peter Principle (lol) says that a person will rise to their level of incompetence. We will see how this goes, because in most cases in CCSD it is also true. There are levels where a person is very capable and then they get to thinking "wow I can do even better at a higher level" NOT.

Good luck to everyone, but especially to those that are doing a great job right where they are and do not want to climb over someone else to get higher up. The saying also says something about being careful to how you treat those on your way up, because you will be meeting the same folks on your way down. (or something like that)

Numa/WE

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3