Fallonites Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Numa/West End

+14
freevef
Momof4
kc11
Angela Clyburn
Oldschool
character4kds
mommyleal
momof2
KelliJ
norman
friendofjesus
CCSD Employee
Anna710
Admin
18 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Numa/West End - Page 2 Empty Meeting on 5/2

Post  KelliJ Mon May 03, 2010 12:01 pm

I'm sorry this has taken so long but I got home to a grumpy hubby and feisty kids last night and some chores this morning. I will warn you now that there is a lot of personal opinion mixed in here but hey, you get the idea.

IF you have any questions feel free to ask, as I am sure I probably left stuff out but my notes are not as thorough as I hoped they would be. TY for understanding!

Kelli

------------------->
As many of you know, I went to the meeting at Numa last night. I got there about 5 minutes before it was supposed to start and before a single "Hello" was spoken, I was told by other parents, "Parents aren't being allowed in." Seems that it was a staff meeting. Needless to say we were not happy parents when we were told that we couldn't go in. I wish we would have had more of a turn out, but it was sort of last minute.

The parents end up being allowed in, but we have to wait in the staff room while someone let the staff know what they heard. This is because she didn't want parents thinking she was representing the Sup. or the district and didn't want to be attacked by parents. (I can totally understand this, since emotions were very high last night)

The parents begin talking, and I will be honest, I was pretty much zoned out for most of it until someone from West End made the comment that "children adapt" and that set my blood to boiling. Our children may adapt but is that any reason to put them through this?!? I THINK NOT! Then someone who is on one of the committees said that they can not submit for the grant until the changes have been implemented. I may have misunderstood, but that is how it came across.

Finally, one of the staff members comes in and tells us we can come to the library now and join the staff so we did.

Needless to say we were told that yes, what we fear is the plan. West End’s teachers and students will be moved to Numa and the children that test high will be moved to either EC Best or Lahontan. Any classrooms that are not filled by West End teachers will be filled by Numa teachers, after they have interviewed with the new principal and she decides she wants them. However, our RIF’d teachers will not be allowed to interview unless there are not enough teachers from the pool that are not RIF’d. Any teachers in the pool with seniority will then be able to basically go where they want and take the position of a lower seniority teacher, putting them in the pool. For example, teacher A from Numa interviewed but didn’t get a spot at the new Numa. Teacher A has 10 years with the district and decides she still wants to teach 3rd grade. Teacher A goes to EC Best and says to the 3rd grade teachers, “Anyone want to volunteer to leave?” If no one does, then teacher A goes to teacher B and basically puts teacher B out of a job. As you can see, this is going to effect not just Numa teachers, or West End teachers, but ALL of the teachers in the district.

Apparently there is a grant out there that CCSD is going to be applying for, School Improvement Grant (10036). This grant requires the reconfiguration of Numa:
New Principal
All WE Teachers
Research based practices
Technology
30 Classrooms
30 Teachers (<50% Returning Staff)
1-2 Teachers per grade from Numa Staff
Maintain 40% FRL rate schoolwide model.

The funds from this grant go towards the following:

Extended Learning - Teacher Incentive 1.5
Saturday School
Afterschool

Evaluation:
Maps
Aligned Cirriculum

Technology:
SMART Systems
Technology Support
Technology Training

Coaching Model:
Math Coach
ELA Coach C/Ex
ESL Coach
SP Ed Coach
Science COach

Behavior Model:
Tribes

Also, it seems that the superintendent is on her way out, as she has been interviewing elsewhere... It appears as if she just doesn't care about our teachers or our students.

KelliJ

Back to top Go down

Numa/West End - Page 2 Empty Re: Numa/West End

Post  Admin Mon May 03, 2010 12:37 pm

Well, that is surprising and disappointing to say the least. I'm sorry I doubted you Kelli. And yes, it would appear that Dr. Ross is not as concerned about our community as one would prefer a super-intendent to be.
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.fallonites.com

Back to top Go down

Numa/West End - Page 2 Empty School Board Meeting May 6 @ Lahontan Elementary

Post  Admin Mon May 03, 2010 3:30 pm

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  KelliJ Mon May 03, 2010 4:11 pm

I have been checking every few hours since I found out at 4pm Friday! TY for letting us know it was up!

KelliJ

Back to top Go down

Numa/West End - Page 2 Empty Board Packet

Post  kc11 Mon May 03, 2010 9:49 pm

Why is the majority of the board packet missing? It is usually a lot longer and there are more attachments...

kc11

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue May 04, 2010 12:34 am

I dunno, KC.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Numa/West End - Page 2 Empty Numa/West End

Post  character4kds Tue May 04, 2010 8:47 am

Perhaps it is another one of those times when the decision has already been made. I look at this proposal and say "hey, great ideas". but..."Why are you moving 3/4th of the kids out of Numa and adding in the West End kids for effect? You are not improving the scores of the children at Numaj by doing this. It seems to me that they will be putting this in place based on the scores Numa has had, but they will be fudging by adding 3/4th of the kids from WE. This seems to be an illegal plow to get the funding and "improved scores" and fix WE's problem. You would be able to do the same with Numa's present staff and kids, why didn't the administration work with Numa to implement this plan? Once again I say move the WE kids into all of the existing schools so that they will learn to live in the real USA, and let the teachers of the district move to schools with openings. I do not want to see CCSD on the national news for this kind of action. It is wrong, wrong, wrong and they know it.

character4kds

Back to top Go down

Numa/West End - Page 2 Empty Public meeting at West End to discuss closure

Post  Admin Tue May 04, 2010 12:46 pm

There will be a public meeting today at 3 p.m. at West End Elementary 280 S. Russell St. for parents and staff. Superintendent Carolyn Ross will discuss possibilities in regards to the district's decision to close a school. For information, 423-2187.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  character4kds Tue May 04, 2010 1:08 pm

Will she be bringing her smoke and mirrors? Be prepared for double talk folks, and listen for what she doesn't say. I am looking for leadership in whatever happens to the schools in CCSD. It is my opinion that someone with one foot out the door may not be thinking clearly about what is important in our district. Consider the messes we have had to clean up with previous administrators. It just costs us more money. The morale in the school district is at an all time LOW. This is wrong. Everyone accepts change when it is presented in a meaningful, considerate manner. Nothing about this seems professional except the proposal. (which the way they are planning to do it will only hurt the people involved and borders on abusing the rights of all the children)

character4kds

Back to top Go down

Post  KelliJ Tue May 04, 2010 5:21 pm

character4kds wrote:Be prepared for double talk folks, and listen for what she doesn't say.
There is also a meeting on Wednesday at 3pm at Numa with her... If I have to walk up there I will be at that one!

KelliJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue May 04, 2010 9:43 pm

So, do anyone go to the meeting at West End? What was said?

I didn't go, but I was told the plan is to take the lowest 25% of students (in terms of test scores) from West End and the lowest 25% from Numa and those will be among the students who will go to school at Numa next year. The students who test at average or above will go to the other schools. The reason they are doing this because for the past four years, Numa students have been below average for the testing. The state says that if something isn't working after that amount of time, the district has to do some restructuring. If the district doesn't do it, the state will come in and do it for them.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Numa/West End - Page 2 Empty West End Meeting

Post  mommyleal Tue May 04, 2010 10:35 pm

Just to let everyone know i went to the west end meeting and plan on going to the numa meeting thou i expect it to be the same alot of unanswered questions, Everything is i dont know or maybe's most intelligent questions that were asked were not givin any answers. I am hoping that after todays meeting that our superatendant will think about all those i dont know and maybe questions and hopefully be able to address some of those questions with certanty like a leader should. If she supports her MODUAL then she should have something concrete info. to support it.
We will see, i didnt say much at this meeting so that all the west end people could speak up and say there peace i figured i would address any questions i may have at tomarrows meetings. I would encourage people to come however if u do come expect the meeting to last any where from an 1hr to an 1 1/2 hours, just a warning. I would also suggest that U write down ur questions in advance and try to pay attention because i noticed that ppl kept asking some of the same questions over and over again with the same i Dont know answers.

Last edited by mommyleal on Tue May 04, 2010 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : soekking errors as usuall)

mommyleal

Back to top Go down

Numa/West End - Page 2 Empty ADMIN

Post  kc11 Tue May 04, 2010 10:49 pm

Numa has not been a failing school for 4 years. Last year they did not make AYP but the previous year they did, so right now they are in year one of needs of improvement. They have to fail to make AYP for 3 consecutive years before the state can come in. Therefore, if they do not make it this year they will still have 1 more year.

Also, I have heard rumors that Numa beat West End on the writing proficiency this year. Does anybody know if this is true?

And just to clarify because I am tired of hearing this, according to the state based on AYP results West End is not a high achieving school, they are only adequate.

kc11

Back to top Go down

Post  KelliJ Tue May 04, 2010 11:36 pm

Howdy all!

Ok so I didn't get a chance to tell you all yesterday, but I called US DoE about what is going on in CCSD. They told me to call NV DoE. I got ahold of them, told them what we were told on Sunday and they told me to call Ms Kathy St. Clair at State of NV, SiG Grants for Churchill County at 775-687-9185.

She is the one we need to talk to about the legalities of what the superintendent is attempting to do as well as the ethical implications. Remember our superintendent is trying to get a grant based on OUR kids scores, and then when they get it, use the money on the kids from WE that will be moved into our school instead of our kids who are being farmed out.

Please everyone, call Ms St. Clair and voice your concerns! Perhaps if enough of us parents call in, we can prevent this grant from happening!

Thanks everyone for all your support and input for Numa!!

KelliJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed May 05, 2010 12:30 am

Article in the LVN, by Stephanie Carroll, LVN Staff Writer

4 May 2010, LVN Article: Parents, teachers unhappy with idea to merge West End and Numa schools
By Stephanie Carroll, LVN Staff Writer

FALLON - Parents and teachers were unhappy Tuesday and many were outright furious after hearing the Churchill County School District's proposal to close West End Elementary School and move students and staff to Numa Elementary School.

The Churchill County School Board will discuss the plan during a regularly scheduled meeting Thursday at Lahontan Elementary School at 7 p.m.

Board President Richard Gent stressed the board has requested a possible plan to close a school but has not made a decision.

“This closing of a school is still not a done deal,” Gent said. “It's a worst case scenario. We're still in the negotiation process. This may not even come to fruition at all.”

However, many community members were frustrated with what they believe is a “done deal.” One attendee said the school district appears to have waited until the last minute so the community is stuck with one option.

“It sounds like to me the decision has been made,” the attendee said to the sound of applause.

Superintendent Carolyn Ross stressed the agenda item is not an action item, so the board will discuss it and give her direction but not make an official decision.

“There is no such thing — right now — as a done deal,” Ross said.

Ross and Federal Programs Facilitator Sue Chambers explained the best option for closing a school is one that will also earn money through a grant. Ross explained the plan calls for West End to close because its facilities are in the most need.

Chambers said there is a school improvement grant that funds schools for reforming and implementing best practices, which Churchill County School District could do by closing and integrating West End, a high achieving school, into Numa, a needs of improvement school.

Parents with children at West End were unhappy with the idea.

“You're asking us to be OK with moving our kids to an at risk school, and we're not OK with it,” one mother stated. “It sounds like it's a done deal.”

Teachers and parents with children at Numa were also concerned. Numa teachers are unhappy because the grant calls for them to re-interview for their positions, and only 50 percent can return. Parents said they fear Numa students will be forced into other schools to make room for West End students. Many wanted to know numbers or percentages of how many would relocate.

“This is my child's education you're talking about, and you have no information!” exclaimed a frustrated parent. “They have no answers”

Ross and Chambers stressed the plan is at a conceptual stage, so there are no numbers.

“All the logistics have not been figured out,” Chambers said. “We don't have all the answers today.”

Nevertheless, Chambers said there may be enough open classrooms at Numa to accommodate all or most West End teachers and students because of decreasing enrollment, increased teacher-student ratios, teachers leaving the district through retirement or reductions in force, integrating specials and open classrooms.

Attendees accused the district of failing to properly inform the community, taking action without considering community input and making decisions that one attendee said are “confusing, demeaning and often insulting to teachers.”

“We're not really getting a say,” another attendee said. “I know we can go to the school board and talk but been there, done that. (We just) look at the blank stares. It's very discouraging.”

Nevertheless, Gent said the board will consider the problems the public has brought to their attention in regards to this plan, and he wants those with concerns to bring them to the board.

“We want to hear both sides,” Gent said.

Plans for the school closure are available at www.churchill.k12.nv.us.

There will be a another public meeting to discuss the school closure plan today at 3 p.m. at Numa Elementary School, 601 Discovery Drive, 428-1996.

The school board will also discuss the following on Thursday:

• New business includes a level three hearing on grievance filed by the Churchill County Education Association on behalf of Kathy Archey regarding the release of redacted grievance upon a request by the Lahontan Valley News.

• New business also consists of possible action to suspend process for early retirement incentives and use instead for this year only another process; approval of a firm to conduct a space utilization study; and presentation regarding the process of contract negotiations with individuals not represented by associations.

• New business also includes resolution concerning the financing of school improvements; directing the clerk to notify the Churchill County Debt Management Commission of the district's proposal to issue general obligations; authorizing the sale of refunding bonds.

• Recognition's include students who qualified and participated in the All-State Choir and All-State Orchestra and Tom Fleming who received the Nevada Music Educators Association Sam Maytan award for outstanding service to music education.

• Superintendent Carolyn Ross will update the board on “No Child Left Behind” and the Care Team.

• Assistant Superintendent Scott Meihack will present a class-size reduction report.

• Unfinished business includes a call for additional proposals and opening bid proposals for Crop Rotation of Rio Vista Property.

All items were not included in this summary. For full agenda, visit www.churchill.k12.nv.us.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Numa/West End - Page 2 Empty Another meeting.

Post  Admin Wed May 05, 2010 11:39 am

There will be another public meeting to discuss the school closure plan today at 3 p.m. at Numa Elementary School, 601 Discovery Drive, 428-1996.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  character4kds Wed May 05, 2010 11:44 am

I am hoping that this meeting will be helpful and informative. I doubt it.

character4kds

Back to top Go down

Numa/West End - Page 2 Empty Best Practices ???

Post  freevef Wed May 05, 2010 3:25 pm

West End is just a building sitting on a city block. As such, it has no special significance.

If it is deemed a school needs to be closed due to declining enrollment, budgetary reasons, or a combination thereof, then the school to be closed should be based solely on the projected future costs to operate, maintain, and repair its physical plant. To do otherwise would be a great disservice to the taxpayers of Churchill County.

As far as the movement of the faculty, it appears the main arguments to move the West End staff to Numa is based on what Dr. Ross calls “Best Practices”. Either she does not fully understand what a best practice is, or she is trying to deceive the public, or she is not an effective administrator. Best practices are both definable and measurable. It is my opinion that she is merely looking at results and is placing credit on some subjective, undefined practices.

If it were true that West End has been employing best practices, and these practices are what she is crediting the school for being her model school for achievement, she would want these practice employed at all of the schools. This appears not to be the case, for it is common knowledge that it is easier to implement new practices by having experienced personnel on-board during both the implementation and execution stages. This would have been her most opportune time to get this accomplished. Instead, she has chosen to keep her “best practices” eggs in one basket. Such leadership, such concern for the other schools.

There must be other factors that she is not being up-front with.

And the aspect of the current teachers at Numa having to interview for consent to stay there is setting a new practice. Principals have always been moved before and they had to accept the teachers that were already there. It was only when a teacher wanted to move to another school that the principals had to agree.

If this plan of hers goes through, Numa should be renamed to West End East Elementary School, for Numa will no longer exist and West End will have only changed its location.

freevef

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed May 05, 2010 5:30 pm

freevef wrote:If this plan of hers goes through, Numa should be renamed to West End East Elementary School, for Numa will no longer exist and West End will have only changed its location.

That is ridiculous. The BUILDING is named Numa. Just because some of the students/teachers will be from West End doesn't mean the name changes. It means the occupants do.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  momof2 Wed May 05, 2010 5:50 pm

They can rename the school "Wema." Wink

momof2

Back to top Go down

Numa/West End - Page 2 Empty WEMA

Post  character4kds Wed May 05, 2010 5:57 pm

That was a good one!!!!

character4kds

Back to top Go down

Numa/West End - Page 2 Empty Numa Meeting

Post  mommyleal Wed May 05, 2010 6:59 pm

So i went to the numa meeting and as i figured it was the same as the meeting at west end. There are no garrantees on what will happen to our kids or teachers in the coming year. They do not know excatly how they are going move student and to where. There are no definate anythings on anything. It seemed to me that our superattendent was more concerned with dodging bullets then just answering the questions. They avoided as many questions as they could and when they were caught changing there storie they were quick to defend that they ethier dint say or didnt mean to say anything about how the kids were going to be moved, or when or how. It was very entertaining to see everyone go up in a uproars with U just said this or that.

I must say that it was quite moving when two children of Numa got up to speak and practiacally begg our fearless leader to let them stay in the school that they had been attending for so many years and loved. It Brought tears to mine and many others eyes. I hope and encourge that everyone (and i mean everyone) no matter what school u go too in this district to attend the school board meeting on thursday night, and if u have children who would like them speak allow them too maybe if the school board sees what it is doing to OUR children then maybe they will do right by them. And If every one gets up there to talk then maybe just maybe they will listen, it make for a long meeting but if thats what it takes i am all for loseing a little sleep for my kids and for our communtiy. I think that all the teachers, student and staff are equall no matter where they go and if numa wasnt supposable in trouble and they would still have to close West end for finacial and building problems. They would then do there best to keep staff and kids together but it would go threw the entire distrect without making teachers from other schools have to interview for there current postions and would keep kids from other schools from being farmed out. As sad as this is Only the kids and Teachers and staff should not know where they are going next year and the board and whom ever else decideds should be working on figuring that out so that the parents know where there kids are going before the end of the year or shortly there after!!!

Last edited by mommyleal on Wed May 05, 2010 9:20 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling as usaull)

mommyleal

Back to top Go down

Post  character4kds Wed May 05, 2010 9:43 pm

I was there too. I saw people coming together to demand answers, and all they got was the usual smoke and mirrors. The two ladies from the DO were dodging bullets and only had each other for backing. The people from Numa came with cannons loaded. They had federal info that says that the basis for the new "concept" the children with free or discounted lunch will be illegal to use. Yes there are children in the district that have those lunches but it is confidential just who. It will be illegal for the district to access those names in order to have the starter kids for their "concept". Why the big rush to implement the plan when it is so full of holes that will bring embarrassment and lawsuits when the feds find out. There is no guarantee that the money will come to CCSD since there are many, many more schools in need far worse than anything that CCSD has to offer. If you were there you would know that Numa is a three tier school. The ones most likely to get money are the tier 1 and 2 schools. Numa missed AYP, but has been AYP in the past. Once again it is only a few children that throw the scores off. DR.R says that the prediction for future failure is evident, yeah and so is all the proof of aliens and global warming.

character4kds

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed May 05, 2010 10:31 pm

Wema sounds alright, LOL.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Numa/West End - Page 2 Empty Dr. Ross and her prediction of future failure

Post  momof2 Thu May 06, 2010 6:19 am

Dr. Ross says "the prediction for future failure is evident." You bet it is, Dr. Ross, especially when you "predict" the school will fail by intentionally setting it up to fail. That is called a self-fulfilling prophecy. Way to express your confidence in the teachers and students of Churchill County, Dr. Ross!

By the way, I heard she was turned down by yet another school district where she was looking for a new job, I believe this time it was in Alaska.

momof2

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next