Fallonites Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Old Wal-Mart building

+2
MarcelliH
Admin
6 posters

Go down

Old Wal-Mart building Empty Old Wal-Mart building

Post  Admin Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:16 pm

Here's a list of some examples of what types of indoor recreation could fit inside the old Wal-Mart building: miniature golf, handball, batting cages, billiards, tennis, netted driving range (for the golf addicts in winter!), go-karts, archery, basketball, darts, shuffleboard, video game arcade, dance hall, paintball, sporting goods store, exercise studio.
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.fallonites.com

Back to top Go down

Old Wal-Mart building Empty Awesome Idea

Post  MarcelliH Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:42 pm

I believe turning the old Wal Mart into a recreation center is a great idea because It will give the kids something to do on the weekends. I hear children always complaining how there is nothing to do in Fallon and making a recreation center will help kids get more active and they can hang out somewhere where they are less likely to use drugs and drink alcohol. I really hope this idea pulls through, because I am a kid and I need something to do too and I don't want to be pressured to do drugs! Smile

MarcelliH

Back to top Go down

Old Wal-Mart building Empty Old Wal*Mart

Post  HayleeRodarte Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:01 pm

It would be such a good idea to turn the old wal*mart into a place for kids, i myself is a kid and would totally enjoy that!!! We need more things to do there is pretty much nothing. The movie theater sucks, bowling alley lanes are crooked, and the skating rink is always paked and to far out of town. So i agree we need to do that. What else will happend to it, it would probally rot down! tongue

HayleeRodarte

Back to top Go down

Old Wal-Mart building Empty Re: Old Wal-Mart building

Post  Admin Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:11 pm

Perhaps they could even section off a piece and put the skating rink there...then it would be much closer. I wonder what Bruce and Bruce think of that?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  lucky420 Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:00 am

these are all great ideas, but remember the old walmart building is owned by someone and unless that person wants to foot the bill for all these expensive renovations it probably won't happen. I don't know if the current owners have looked into this at all and if they did what was the outcome. Would enough profit be generated to make it worthwhile because there are a whole lot of other expenses people probably don't think about when they are coming up with ideas for the building, such as insurance, licenses, permits, etc.

lucky420

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:37 pm

The current owners are: Ed Louie (who owns Louie's Home Center), Dan Munoz (Diversified Builders construction), and Scott Tate (who owns the Nugget/Bonanza).

Last I was told, they were charging $3/sq ft, which is apparently very expensive. I would be very curious to know what these three guys plan on DOING with the building...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  lucky420 Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:02 pm

I wonder if that $3 a foot is "as is" It really is an eyesore...

lucky420

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:48 pm

I'm not sure. I suppose someone could call and clarify.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Old Wal-Mart building Empty Boys and Girls club +after school+ FRIENDS

Post  zandar*mans*mommy Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:44 am

Lets stop spreading evrything out all over town us the old walmart for the boys and girls club you could get our grant and then have money to fix it up into what this town need s rec, study , home away from home to keep kids busy! Sun fun, FRIENDS, Boy and Girls Club, and I am sure there are more out thier join together at west end or th old walmart but in basketball counrts. Ny husband and a group of guys go to Reno to play on there leg! But all over toen all week long there is guys getting together to play at the old guy at oats park, morman church, the park! There is mor then enuff to get a leage going here, keep the money here. A indoor pool woth slide games, a computer lab for home work so students that dont have internet can go. Give me a break if yerington van have such a great program wthat is our problem. yes it is always $$$ but as soon as these organazation set up shop they get thier grants they pay back the money the barrowed from people in town or from the city. Get our children out of trailors. That is a joke. The school that is closing has everything you would need a kitchen, gym out side play area. Labs for studing. Put all resourse in ont place make it simple on paretns and funa nd new for children. All I get from the churchill county club is mismanagment. Get a grant writer in their that is trained and then teachers in the summer, people going for their teaching degree and moms that know what they are doing. We have a military base 75% of the kids here are here beacuse of this. Ask for man pwer to get things set up. have them help with reading programs. This is our futer here. So put our future in tralors hope they get help and do the same thing over and over and see the drug us climb and kids going to JUVE! IT's not hard send some oen to yerington and let them mentor us on what they do how they keep going ang going new and better, how to put on a big concert at a different time. But a busness like the movie theater and let the older kids that have been at the center work it so they can save for collage, car, ect, there is so much that could be done but we have all these small ideas all over town county get together and see that happens when forcess combind!!! We would have something great in less then a year it the city ran programs, the county, and the navy base all came together to make on great BOys and Girls club! Show what Fallon can do all the way insead of half way it in a tralor! Exclamation

zandar*mans*mommy

Back to top Go down

Old Wal-Mart building Empty free space

Post  zandar*mans*mommy Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:46 am

They are closing a school next year that is a place that need not much change on the inside or out and then it is not a wast of space. read my total idea!! Wink
Admin wrote:The current owners are: Ed Louie (who owns Louie's Home Center), Dan Munoz (Diversified Builders construction), and Scott Tate (who owns the Nugget/Bonanza).

Last I was told, they were charging $3/sq ft, which is apparently very expensive. I would be very curious to know what these three guys plan on DOING with the building...

zandar*mans*mommy

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:54 am

Those are great ideas Zanders Mommy... The Old Wal-Mart is easily big enough to house many recreational activities PLUS the Fallon Youth Club, PLUS several other things! Now we just need to find out who wants to help write some grants, and if the owners would be willing to do something positive for the community with the building...instead of letting it sit there.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  zandar*mans*mommy Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:07 pm

Admin wrote:Those are great ideas Zanders Mommy... The Old Wal-Mart is easily big enough to house many recreational activities PLUS the Fallon Youth Club, PLUS several other things! Now we just need to find out who wants to help write some grants, and if the owners would be willing to do something positive for the community with the building...instead of letting it sit there.

Or just use the school that the city already has and not much money has to be put into making it ready !

zandar*mans*mommy

Back to top Go down

Old Wal-Mart building Empty use of West End

Post  bmathews Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:07 am

West End is owned by the School District and you might be facing liability and insurance issues to use that facility. Plus the expenses to maintain a building that size probably runs somewhere between $75,000-85,000 a year in utilities alone. You might think that amount is rather high, but the building is bigger than you think, but running air conditioners and heaters are not cheap in the high desert; especially when you have kids running in and out of doors, even with planned activities. About 3 years ago, there was a feasibility study done regarding a community recreational center. The county received a community block grant and they conducted focus groups in Fallon. You might want to go Churchill County Social Services and request a copy of the report. The partners in this endeavor were: Social Services, Parks & Recreation, the Senior Center, and the Fallon Youth Club. They approached the library, but our plans were much further along than theirs, plus we had already established that we needed a stand alone, - 30,000 sq foot facility. This would be a good starting point since a big chunk of the work has been done. All that is needed is the space and money. I don't remember if the old Walmart building was discussed. Approaching the county commissioners right now for financial assistance would probably not get you anything. Though they liked and approved of the idea, their main objective now is to keep the county's departments running and not to lay off county personnel. Just my 2 cents.

bmathews

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:14 am

Not to mention, West End is one of the oldest schools in the district and not all the air conditioners/heaters are recent...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down