Fallonites Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grade Level Schools

+4
cired
Dusty Boots
Admin
Carolyn_Grady
8 posters

Go down

Grade Level Schools Empty Grade Level Schools

Post  Carolyn_Grady Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:47 pm

Why not go back to grade level schools? All students from the 4 elementary schools funnel into 1 jr high and 1 high school.

The school board and superintendent talk about utilizing & sharing teacher resources. If all students from the same grade were in 1 school, then the teachers could share ideas all day/every day.

We are eliminating 1 elementary school so with the 3 that we have put 1st & 2nd in 1 school, 3rd & 4th in another & 5th & 6th in the last school.

It used to work, why not go back to it?!?

Carolyn_Grady

Back to top Go down

Grade Level Schools Empty Re: Grade Level Schools

Post  Admin Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:52 pm

That's a good idea Carolyn, and I think they discussed it at one point, though I don't know the details. That's what they've done with Northside -- all kindergarteners are at the same school. It seems to work well with the teachers.
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.fallonites.com

Back to top Go down

Grade Level Schools Empty Shot in the Dark!

Post  Dusty Boots Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:09 pm

Here is a shot in the dark.if you could look into getting a really great deal on the new e-books or by now they probably have them developed for schools,buy one for every student from say,grade,seven and up.also mabey look into the progress that has went into the development of the educational books as well,i.e. software.also helps save the rainforest(haha).P.S. who know's mabey it would catch on with other schools as well,then it would be federal funded:)

Dusty Boots

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:09 pm

That's an interesting and innovative idea, Dusty.
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.fallonites.com

Back to top Go down

Grade Level Schools Empty Why?

Post  cired Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:17 am

There was a reason CCSD stopped grade level schools - before my time. Numerous studies show there is no benefit to the students by reverting to this system nor is there any cost savings to a school district that does. The two most important questions are: will it benefit the students and will it save money. No to both. So why consider this as an option?

cired

Back to top Go down

Grade Level Schools Empty Interested in seeing the data

Post  JodyLammel Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:15 pm

Cired,

It is no surprise that the same data can be manipulated to show whatever result the author or reseacher wants to show. I would be interested in seeing the data supporting what you said. My gut tells me that there are concrete benefits to Grade level schools.

Jhl

JodyLammel

Back to top Go down

Grade Level Schools Empty grade level schools

Post  character4kds Tue May 04, 2010 2:49 pm

I have taught in grade level schools. There seems to be more communication between and among teachers. Parents know what the expectations are at that level. Children meet more of the children in their age group on the playground and in school activities. The assessments are discussed and fine tuned by the teachers at that level at regular meetings. The way it is now teachers may or may not meet with other teachers at their grade level. I have seen it the way it is and there are teachers coming from one school acting as authorities and not open to the ideas of other school's teachers no matter what the meeting concerns or the possibilities.

character4kds

Back to top Go down

Post  rusty Wed May 05, 2010 8:15 am

I also taught at grade level schools and there is much more communication between teachers. Also if you are in need of help there are many more teachers to ask rather than one or two.
The district would elimintate all the problems it has created by going in this direction and it would certainly be the best move they could make. However, knowing how this admin works, why do something that makes sense???

rusty

Back to top Go down

Post  character4kds Wed May 05, 2010 10:19 am

Hey Rusty, You are right on. The administration knows nothing of elementary education having come from high schools. The families would have an easier time acclimating to this proposal than the albatross they are trying to force on Numa and West End. Another thing I noticed is the lack of diversity in the teacher/administration populations. In fact what diversity they had, they rif'd. Sadly she is among the very best teachers Fallon has to offer. With a diverse student population the district should be looking for good role models for students, not just someone with a sp.ed. endorsement. Rolling Eyes

character4kds

Back to top Go down

Post  Momof4 Thu May 06, 2010 12:38 am

Ms. Grady, that is exactly what I suggested! So glad other people agree! I actually read some different articles last year that talked about many schools nationwide going back to that grade level concept and having great success. I think it beats trying to cram this whole West End/Numa concept down our throats and helps to keep better morale for the teachers, etc.

Momof4

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum