Fallonites Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extra Food?

2 posters

Go down

Extra Food? Empty Extra Food?

Post  Admin Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:34 pm

For example, sometimes when I'm at one of the schools, and none of the kids want to eat their packaged carrots, I will collect them all and give them to people I know who like carrots! But in the future, if this happens, I plan on donating them to Teresa.
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.fallonites.com

Back to top Go down

Extra Food? Empty Re: Extra Food?

Post  Teresa Pena Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:57 pm

Hi everyone! I work diligently to find food resources for all people. As I have searched the area for ones that will be the easiest to serve the community, I also find the people who need these services. Hands of Hope Food bank started in a storage shed many years ago. They had the funding of the NNFB for 4 months. Hands of Hope learned quickly that the paperwork and red tape was not enabling to keep their facility from slowly going under. The government was taxing too much money out in SEVERAL fees, and the documentation database was a maze in itself. Government funded food pantries require your to have ID, fill out intake forms, and some have income restrictions.
Hands of Hope SIMPLY QUIT USING THEM AND TOOK IT AMONGST THEMSELVES! With the same resources as the government has, Paul and Elaine kept the sponsors, vendors, and people coming in. They just need your name, how many in the family, and your $5 maintenance fee...then your grocery cart full of food is on it's way out the door in your hands.

They want the people to be able to get food no matter what the circumstances were. Hands of Hope is kept in operation by the $5 'shared maintenance fee" paid by each "owner" shall we say. We, the people pay the rent, power, and refer truck. We the people own the food bank. It's like a HUGE family event every Sat. and Tues night. People are always talking, laughing, kids are playing, and you NEVER feel bad about being there Smile

For that $5 in paying our operations, we receive almost a grocery car worth of food. All of the food going to Hands of Hope is donated by local farmers, backyard gardeners, and sponsors.

If anyone in Fallon has a food pantry, please have them get a hold of me. You can barter your crops with neighbors, hook up with Hands of Hope, Great Basin Food Co-op, or simply give it to a church or community center that has a pantry.

This is for surplus only. We know that people have to make a living selling your products to recover your own operating expenses. We just don't want any food to go to waste.

Maybe start a gleaning project for fruit trees that are never harvested in the area. Ya know, people yards where the crop just ended up on the ground to rot. We can use slightly damaged food too. A starving person doesn't care about a bruise on an apple, if there's one 3 tomatoes and a handful of peas. The object is to not let food go to waste.

If anyone has any questions or concerns, you can contact me at any time. 775-240-1706
I'm also on Facebook and so is Hands of Hope Food Bank!

Teresa Pena

Back to top Go down

Post  Teresa Pena Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:37 pm

Hands of Hope Food Bank said they would "consider" opening a food bank in Fallon if 110 people made and signed a petition that stated they would participate every week. The $5 "shared maintenance" fee would pay for the operation cost just as we do in Reno. This is NOT funded by the government. The people own it Smile Just a thought....

Teresa Pena

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon May 03, 2010 11:43 am

I think this would be a great idea! Maybe in the summer, we can get something started.
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.fallonites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Teresa Pena Sat May 08, 2010 3:53 am

Posts just fine for me Smile

Teresa Pena

Back to top Go down

Post  Teresa Pena Sat May 08, 2010 4:13 am

Hands of Hope Food Bank also has the McGregor Inn Drop off location for food pick-up. For $10. $5 is the shared maintenance fee and $5 for gas. You order your food and pay on Tues. and they deliver Wed. afternoon. This makes it easier for people to not have to stand in line. You receive the same amount of food as on Saturdays, PLUS, it can be packed to your dietary needs by our nutritionist if needed. It's about a grocery cart worth of food Smile

If Fallon would like to do this we need a minimum of 50-100 people to order every week. This will ensure that the refrigerator truck is full for travel and can feed as many people as possible in one stop.

You would also have to designate a drop off location in which to pick up your food. For $10 you really can't beat this anywhere else.

Teresa Pena

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down