Fallonites Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Downtown is dying

+8
decenag
EvanHorror
HayleeRodarte
Uncle Bill
Dusty Boots
bmathews
Admin
Native Nevadan
12 posters

Go down

Downtown is dying Empty Downtown is dying

Post  Native Nevadan Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:42 pm

Maine Street used to be the main part of Fallon. It could be again if people tried. Businesses all want to move towards the Reno Hwy. The owners of the buildings downtown need to come down on their rent. Times are hard and I'm sure it's better to get some rent then no rent at all. Too many businesses are dying.

In truth, the city fathers really don't care. No matter what happens to this businesses here, they will always be the bosses in charge - even if it's in charge of a ghost town. Crying or Very sad

Native Nevadan

Back to top Go down

Downtown is dying Empty Re: Downtown is dying

Post  Admin Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:45 pm

Indeed. I understand the economy is bad, but I agree, prices need to come down a little if businesses are going to have a chance. I was told (and this has not been confirmed, so take it with a grain of salt) that to rent space at the old Wal-Mart building its $3/sq ft. Apparently that's very high. The people who own that building don't appear to be hurting for money since two of them own a business themselves and the other works for the city. Why such a high price on a building that has so much potential?
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.fallonites.com

Back to top Go down

Downtown is dying Empty Downtown make over

Post  bmathews Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:23 am

I don't know about space rentals, but I would like to speak up on behalf of the Mayor and the City. They went after grants to fix up Maine Street, all the way from West Williams to Front Street. They put in the old time street lamps, made the sidewalks ADA compliant, put in drought & disease resistant trees, and decorative night lighting. As for the makeover for some of the business fronts, I don't know if they helped defray some of those costs or not, but this was multi-million dollar and I believe 5 phase project. We have a beautiful park where a gas station used to be, and Maine Street looks so pretty, especially at night, all the way down to Front Street now. It is very well lighted and makes it safe to walk at night. However, like I said, I don't why space rentals are so high, expect to help defray costs and overhead. I am not a business owner, so these are just guesses on my part. clown

bmathews

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:26 am

That's a good point, bmathews; I'd forgotten about that. Maine Street does not look very nice now and in the warm weather, it's pleasant to take a stroll. I don't even remember what Maine Street USED to look like...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Downtown is dying Empty spelling errors in my post

Post  bmathews Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:40 am

Wow, what spelling errors I had, plus some grammar faux pas!
I'm tired, and old. Got my "farming" chores done, and going to bed now. Embarassed

bmathews

Back to top Go down

Downtown is dying Empty Downtown is dying

Post  Dusty Boots Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:49 am

I have no idea why on earth we have moved the local farmers market to the fairgrounds,If anyone has the official income comparison between before the downtown market and last years market at the fairgrounds i would like to see it,i bet the city loses tens of thousands of dollars!we need 2 farmers markets one in the county and one in the city,and compare profits,and that includes all profits by the city.Just throwing some stuff out there.Thx.

Dusty Boots

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:02 am

Well, I think its possibly because with the vendors/booths set up on the sidewalks, it blocked entrances to many storefronts. I'm not positive, but I know that's been an issue in the past.

The Downtown Merchant's Assoc has started up a Saturday morning Farmer's Market on Maine Street, and I believe they were planning on setting things up so the storefronts weren't blocked.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Downtown is dying Empty Advertising

Post  Dusty Boots Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:13 am

Advertise Sand mountain in california?you know what they say,Out of site,out of mind.

Dusty Boots

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusty Boots Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:14 am

Admin wrote:Well, I think its possibly because with the vendors/booths set up on the sidewalks, it blocked entrances to many storefronts. I'm not positive, but I know that's been an issue in the past.

The Downtown Merchant's Assoc has started up a Saturday morning Farmer's Market on Maine Street, and I believe they were planning on setting things up so the storefronts weren't blocked.
Oh ok,Hey thx,That would be great if they did do a saturday morning thing.

Dusty Boots

Back to top Go down

Downtown is dying Empty re Downtown

Post  Uncle Bill Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:19 pm

To me there is something missing from downtown which fails to draw me. I realize the city has spent a lot for improvements, but there seems to not be as much interest in the merchants to match that improvement in their storefronts and displays. A good example is the theater - the marquee looks to me more old dilapidated than "old interesting" or "old historical". Just my own poor thoughts and feelings, sorry.

Uncle Bill

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:54 pm

Dusty Boots: Do you mean they should advertise in California about Sand Mountain?

Uncle Bill: I agree that the theatre doesn't look as renovated and inviting as it COULD. There's a separate forum topic regarding the theatre; it's been discussed before that it should be cleaned or renovated.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dusty Boots Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:01 pm

Admin wrote:Dusty Boots: Do you mean they should advertise in California about Sand Mountain?
Righto!
Uncle Bill: I agree that the theatre doesn't look as renovated and inviting as it COULD. There's a separate forum topic regarding the theatre; it's been discussed before that it should be cleaned or renovated.

Dusty Boots

Back to top Go down

Downtown is dying Empty KIDS

Post  HayleeRodarte Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:08 pm

Me as a kid thinks we need to do something about the kids who hang out on maine street! Mad The kids are destuctive and dont care bout anything!!! Plus who would want to walk past a whole bunch of people who smoke to go to a resturaunt!!!! Exclamation I think it is sick and disturbing to know that kids my age (14) would do that!!!! They need to find a new place to hang out!!!!!!!

HayleeRodarte

Back to top Go down

Post  EvanHorror Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:08 pm

As a person who works on Maine street i will state the the buisnesess are doing everything we can to control the crowds that build on south maine, the police (AKA Chris Paludan) passed an anti-loitering law that essentially makes loitering a crime, which is a great solution. however they refuse to enforce it. the kids that hangoutside of my store are not customers, but bored teenagers. i clear the sidewalk every few minutes. i was threatened with a ticket for not clearing the sidewalk a block from my buisenes, essentially the police are threatening me for not doing there job for them. this needs to be adressed, blame for these crowds are being falsly crowned, and the laws are not being enforced.

EvanHorror

Back to top Go down

Downtown is dying Empty A little help from the Midwest for tourism

Post  decenag Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:25 pm

I was reading some posts on the new web site you sent to me. It stated that Fallon needs help in tourism and something about Main Street losing business.
I havent been in Fallon for almost 17 years now. I now live in a small town in Iowa. Twice a year, the small business owners of Main Street and the surrounding businesses get together to have a day called "Taste of Nevada" pronounced, Neh vay duh. My small town. I dont know if Fallon has a, "Taste of Fallon" but it would be nice to see it. It helps boost business, community gathers for a bite to eat, and meet new people. The businesses should all get together to decide to charge a small fee or do it for free. We here in the small town of Nevada, IA have it for free. Just a suggestion for my home town to thrive.

decenag

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:40 pm

Great idea, Decena...I like it!! What do other people think of that?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  cired Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:12 am

There was an event about 3 years ago put on by the Chamber called "A Taste of Fallon". They did it three or fours years and stopped because no one came. I would imagine vendors wouldn't come because they didn't make any money. I think it was at Venuracci Park a couple of times then Oats Park. As for Maine Street - business owners need to police each other an put pressure on each other to clean their stores up.

cired

Back to top Go down

Post  serina.swanger Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:09 pm

Although the farmers market may have blocked entrances to buildings, there were usually more people (i.e. customers) out on a tuesday day when I was there before than you would ever see on main street any other day.

serina.swanger

Back to top Go down

Downtown is dying Empty downtown

Post  Momof4 Mon May 03, 2010 2:02 am

I will say I do appreciate the efforts of the city to improve the looks of Maine St. and I think they have done a great job, but there are some of the actual buildings that could really use help, Nugget (looks the same as it did when it opened - time for a new and improved Nugget) not to mention that there are very few businesses that are an actual draw to me personally. So I guess it doesn't matter how good it looks if there is no interest in any the stores. I really try to support local businesses, but I just usually can't find what I am looking for here. Sorry!

Momof4

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon May 03, 2010 11:45 am

Hmm. Does anyone have any ideas on sprucing up the kinds of shops Maine Street offers?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Downtown is dying Empty Exit 32

Post  Teresa Pena Mon May 03, 2010 8:37 pm

Please keep in mind that when exit 32 is completed, tourism and added income will be lost. That exit will take an hour off the drive time to Las Vegas, bypassing Fallon completely. Fernley will also be an added drive for "truckers".

Just a thought....

Teresa Pena

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum